Illinois PTA – Preliminary Strategic Plan
“Be in. Be Real. Be Bold.”
To enrich the lives of Illinois children by being the premier parent resource; encouraging family and community engagement through programs, services, advocacy, and education.
1. WE WILL GROW AND STEWARD OUR RESOURCES
Renew the existing local units and establish new units.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan for recruiting local units with Regions/Districts creating their own task force to aid in creating and guiding new units. Increase local units by 5% per year beginning in 2014-2015.
- Increase awareness of the benefits of Membership: direct members only benefits through affiliates/partners/sponsors; advocate training and legislative awareness; and governing guidance.
Increase membership in local units.
- Create new membership plans for all levels of local units encouraging one member for every student and staff, increasing membership 10% by June 2014 and 15% annually thereafter through June 2018.
- Create a sense of emergency to revitalize that we are a member association; highlight the wonderful programs at risk and the accomplishments and Importance of PTA
- Create and promote a New and Improved Illinois PTA: Streamline duties and communication of Region and District Directors for membership while creating Community Partnership Plan for regions, districts, and local schools to benefit and profit from.
Create/enhance State developed units to avail membership to individuals or entities not aligned with a local unit.
- Create awareness of opportunity to be part of State Business or State Individual units and the benefits of membership.
Review our existing programs to determine if they provide the best value and reach a large portion of our members
- Review programs; identify those that are successful, those that can be improved, and those that should be eliminated. Create market strategy to ignite excitement among membership of what PTA offers them.
Reduce expenses that do not support our vision.
- Create analysis of assets and traditions and identify those that negatively impacts resources (Building, State Convention)
2. WE WILL ENHANCE THE INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL AWARENESS OF THE ASSOCIATION.
Build positive public perception of PTA through relevant communication/information at all levels of our association.
- Distribute relevant publications/resources that are professional, consistent, and positive in their message.
- Streamline website to create a professional site with public access to relevant information and members only areas that provide governing and PTA only information.
- Measure and assess member and general public perception of PTA improve our public image.
Be the voice of children and families on all related issues within the State of Illinois
- Position our association leaders as key advocates for child and family: increase our visibility on government and like-minded agency committees and task forces.
- Create a reporting system for disseminating actions of the above committees to membership.
- Invite outside agency partners to communicate with the membership through a variety of PTA communication outlets.
3. WE WILL ENHANCE ORGANIZATIONAL EFFICIENCY AND EFFECTIVENESS.
Implement improved method of communications through a comprehensive use of current technology.
- Utilize website technology on which action items can be posted and will allow individuals or groups to discuss, express opinions, or share additional information.
- Implement means to conduct electronic meetings with file share and visual capabilities.
- Establish an education portal to enhance training availability to all members.
Expand our office capabilities to maximize the services provided.
- Identify services best served through a central operation than by a Board Member or at the Region/District level and the office staff needed to accommodate at the state office.
- Realize the need to provide competitive compensation for skills necessary to establish stability within the office.
Ensure all local units/councils have representation at the state level.
- Work to establish Region boards in Regions without a Director and to identify a representative.
Create an inclusive environment reflective of the population we seek to serve.
- Develop and disseminate information and training in languages that represent our population.
- Develop strategies to educate and equip PTA members and leaders to foster inclusion and diversity at all levels of our association.
4. WE WILL RECRUIT, TRAIN, AND SUPPORT EFFECTIVE LEADERS.
Welcome and seek potential leaders at all levels.
- Design and market new methods to identify and recruit potential leaders.
- Remove the barriers to leadership roles at all levels of our association.
- Assess and monitor the identification and promotion of potential leaders.
Implement a comprehensive leadership model that develops, guides, and directs our current and future leaders.
- Coach and mentor local leaders to develop their skills to increase their leadership effectiveness.
- Provide State Board members training to better serve the local units.
- Make web-based training available to support individualized online learning when convenient for the trainee.
- Establish a Program Engagement Network: Program chairs, Advocates, Local leaders (PENPALs); a monthly forum to discuss current programs, programs in development, and ideas for new programs.
- Provide units/councils with multiple means to express their concerns, needs, and questions to State Board members that will provide the needed action.
Build an accountability system for State Board members.
- Create an environment where everything we do must support our membership and our vision.
- Establish a Board evaluation procedure that identifies strengths, acknowledges meeting the needs of the association, and areas needing further training to succeed.