Why Join PTA?
Faced with shrinking budgets and growing class sizes, not to mention high standards for teacher and student performance – schools today need the support of families and the community. PTA can help. Harness the power of PTA to:
- Increase family engagement and volunteerism
- Implement programs to engage families in student success or school improvements.
- Qualify for grants and awards to support your school.
- Communicate with families more effectively
- Partner with other community organizations
- Enhance fundraising efforts
- Realize measurable results in student achievement
PTA is at the forefront of boosting parent involvement everywhere. Use PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnerships as a roadmap for creating collaboration among families, schools, and community members to work together to support your school improvement objectives.
PTA connects school communities across the country. It’s a place where millions of parents, teachers, leaders, and community members can network with other school leaders and education advocates across the country about key education issues and ways to prepare students for college and career.
PTA fights for funding. PTAs advocate for every child at the local, state and national level. Gain access to advocacy tools that help you speak up on behalf of the needs of every child at your school.
PTAs focus on local schools and communities, but they are networked globally. A team of professional and volunteer leaders is never more than a phone call or e-mail away.
With over 4 million voices across the nation, PTA is the largest association that speaks on behalf of children and youth who cannot speak for themselves! PTA members are working in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and with our military families in the Pacific Congress and across Europe.
PTA operates with a dedicated 99% volunteer force that believes parent involvement is the foundation upon which our children’s futures are shaped.
PTA offers resources to assist families and communities to address issues dealing with the health, safety and welfare of children. For over 120 years, PTA has fostered State and National family engagement that has helped to shape some of the biggest education and child health advances in Illinois and in the country.
More than 85 research studies conducted over the past 30 years prove that kids do better when parents are involved. PTA believes that the best way to achieve effective change is by connecting parents and schools to share concerns and work together.
PTA has been instrumental in ensuring child-centered initiatives:
- kindergarten in schools
- child labor laws
- hot lunch and breakfast programs
- polio vaccinations
- juvenile justice reform
- school bus safety arms
- vision exams
- internet education and
- foster care reform
PTAs can play a meaningful role in helping shift family engagement from one-time events to continuous initiatives that exist where children learn and live; building meaningful partnerships between families, schools and communities to improve the lives of all children.
Illinois PTA membership provides:
- Trained volunteers and staff available to assist with programs, problem solving, resources, and more
- Researched-based, “ready to go” programs such as:
- PTA Schools of Excellence
- Family Reading Experience
- Connect for Respect
- PTA Reflections Arts Program
- Healthy Lifestyles
- Safety at Home and Play
- Events and Celebrations
- Every Child in Focus
- Take Your Family to School Week
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- Family & Community Engagement Tools and Networks
- Awards & Grants
- Family & Community Engagement Toolkit
- Diversity & Inclusion Toolkit
- Male Engagement Toolkit
- Military Alliance for Parents & Partners
- Smart Talk Toolkit
- Special Needs Toolkit
- Urban Family Engagement Network
- Legislative committees at both the state and national levels that continuously work to promote laws that benefit children
- PTA and Leadership Training free of charge to members
- Free workshops and/or speakers for your school and/or community events
PTAs can play a meaningful role in helping shift family engagement from one-time events to continuous initiatives that exist where children learn and live; building meaningful partnerships between families, schools and communities to improve the lives of our children.
FAMILY INVOLVEMENT WITHOUT THE LIABILITIES
PTA provides peace of mind with oversight, responsibility and knowledge.
PTAs are nonprofits that must adhere to standards of affiliation and meet IRS requirements.
PTA funds are independent of school funds. Plus, PTAs have access to reduced-cost insurance. PTA leaders receive training and tools on organizational management, family engagement, and community building to improve the school environment.
PTAs have access to grants available from PTA and its partners.